Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Back when I had a job

It's amazing how quickly your whole life can change. Yesterday I was gainfully employed at a software development firm. Today I'm not.

The reason they gave for letting me go was that I wasn't "senior" enough for the position. Apparently through the interview process and my recommendations they assumed that I was a higher level developer than I really am. They were expecting someone who could work more independently than I have been capable of.

But seriously. No warning. You just walk in one day and it's "Hey man, we need to talk with you in the conference room". When my (now former) colleague gave me the news, I asked if he was joking twice. Twice!

So now the future is open to me. Do I search for a new job in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area? Do I jump right into my dream of living in California and move there with little more than a bookcase full of books and a prayer? Do I return to Boston with my tail between my legs and try to get rehired for my old position at Brightcove? Personally, I'd love to do the last one. But besides the fact that they might not take me back, I don't think it's a good idea to be breaking my lease (which isn't up until this November).

So I'm officially on the hunt for a software engineering job in the Metro DC area. Here we go again....!

1 comment:

Cleopatra Jones said...

Oh man... I'm really sorry to hear that. I wish you luck with your search!