Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Fuzzy Images

If you've never used Skype before, where have you been? I remember that people were addicted to it back in 2002 and even earlier. The basic premise is that you use your internet connection to make phone calls. But don't confuse this with VoIP services such as Vonage. Those technologies operate at a lower technical level.

Anyways, I tried Skype for the first time a little while ago to chat with my girlfriend who lives in Boston (while I live in Southern Maryland near DC). We realized that we both had video cameras attached to our computers, so why not try a live video chat. It was very exciting for about the first 5 seconds. But honestly, the image was grainy-looking and choppy, and most of the time quite out of sync with the sound coming through. All I could think about while using this technology is some 2 year old kid somewhere being held up by his Mom and told to wave at Daddy who's stationed in Iraq. Or maybe an international grad student trying to talk to family back home in Uzbekistan.

Also, when you're logged into Skype, there's a "Skype Me" status which basically advertises that you'd like random strangers to contact you. Am I the only one that thinks that's a bit weird?

Either way, it's just not for me. I'll stick to cell phones and normal voice calls for now.

No comments: